Saturday, March 1, 2014

Puri:Purifying the Pollutants.


There are people who go on a pilgrimage in the hope of earning merits. Nothing deters them and they undertake such pilgrimage year after year, believing that they are positively better. I heard of one believer, who was found to be eating from the garbage piled at the corner of a temple at a religious place, with the conviction that nothing would happen to him. Nothing did. There are others at the same time, and they are in majority, who would dismiss such hearsays as pure rubbish. Without going into the right or the wrong of the issue, let me just try to write down here how day 3 at Puri had a purifying impact on yours truly.

We went to the Jagannath temple in the morning of the 23rd of January for darshan (a look at the image of the Lord). Kaltu’s words on the previous night that he had sent back someone who came up to our room in the ashram, claiming to be the panda (priest) had me worried. My dearest nephew sent him packing, taking him to be one of the hoaxes, who make similar claims to make life miserable for visitors like us!

So when I reminded Swamiji (the head of BSS, Puri) in the wee hours of the morning of the 23rd about the panda, he called out,” Ekhane ashramer panda ke achhen?” (Who all are the Ashram’s pandas here?) and two hands were raised almost immediately afterwards in response from the group at the gate. Finally, we accompanied a short-statured, middle-aged man called Jagannath Mahapatra. He led us to the temple, walking all along by his cycle, providing us with all kinds of information about the temple and Lord Jagannath non-stop, in his Oriya mixed Bengali, or was it the other way round?

By then we had arrived near the main gate of the temple. At his request, we took off our foot wears and washed our feet in warm water on a raised platform on the left-hand side of the temple. The huge clay images of Hanuman and one of the Kaurava brothers greeted us solemnly. I was more drawn to the white and the black horses made of clay, at the entrance of the gate. Later on, Mr.Jagannath told us that the horses represent artha (wealth or affluence) like the other animals symbolizing other earthly cravings, at the three other entrances. Besides the horses at the entrance, the other thing that took my breath away, was the man with the brisk, business-like manner at the counter our panda had led us to. Letting us a quick read-through the list containing the various prices at which Lord Jagannath could be worshipped, he informed us, to our dismay, that the puja of Jagannath alone would cost something like Rs.220/-. We were dismayed by the information as we had decided to offer pujas on behalf of a lot of our relatives. We had to discard any thought of that as quickly as a flicker of a lamp. Naturally, after a quick consultion with the other adult members of the group, we decided to go for the amount priced at Rs.440/- plus taxes or whatever, which would cover up almost all the three main deities.

Our panda-cum-guide in the meantime, had forced his way inside the main temple. With his hands spread around us like an umbrella, he headed us off to a corner, where Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, the great religious preacher of Bengal, once stood during his visit to Jagannathdham  in the late 15th century and where on the wall his fingerprints along with his footprint on the floor, are visible even today. Mr.Mahapatra made us chant some mantras in praise of the Lord. The next moment spreading my arms up in a pose so characteristic of Chaitanya Dev, I followed the frenzied mob for a closer look at the image of Lord Jagannath. Thanks to our panda, each member of our team was blessed with a proper darshan.

The next hour or so was spent in going round from one temple to another dedicated to a multitude of Hindu gods and goddesses. I do not remember much about those deities excepting the time he stopped on the round, to point to the top of the temple, telling us that each morning, someone from the paid-staff of the temple, has to go up to the Chakra atop, to raise the flag to start the day’s proceedings. When I expressed my surprise at the risk involved, especially for someone who has to go up, sometime on his knees and sometime on all fours like an acrobat, he took genuine offence remarking that since the time the practice started, no such untoward incident has ever happened, nor will in the distant future, by His grace!

 His faith made me shrink with a feeling of guilt. My liberal upbringing has taught me not to take anything for granted and I am sorry to say I had my doubts even about the panda (May be, my previous encounter with them way back in the late 80s, when I visited Jagannathdham for the first time along with my Ma and Susomadi, had left not too favourable an impression on my impressible mind). I was worried if we could get anything worth mentioning as prasad! I also had my doubt about how much the panda would try to jab from us for the darshan.

I would like to pen off here with two other notable incidents of the day. Firstly, when Kaltu and I decided to have tea from the stall on the top of the flight of steps leading down to the sea from the centre of Swargadwar. We made friends with the man and his wife having tea there. The reluctant man opened up gradually to tell us that there are some tour operators organizing bus trips to Puri even from places like Dhakuria in Kolkata. The wife then confided in us that during their stay in the holy place, they visited the temple on a daily basis without the menace of the pandas. Opening the small basket she held in her hand, she next informed us that she had bought the prasad for only Rs.51/- from somewhere inside the temple.

The second incident happened near another tea stall we visited daily in the evening. As we were discussing our visit to the temple, we could not help sounding rather depressed at the way we were made to pay the exorbitant price for the darshan and prasad. I was very critical of the panda, not even sparing the ashram in the process. The lady selling tea sided with us, expressing the views that gone are the days when Puri was a place of pure bliss. The holy place, with all its elements like the environment, the foods and even the water of the sea, has become polluted over the years due to the materialistic nature of some people and so on.

Back in the ashram, it was time to do some soul-searching. The self=reflections made me realize two things about me. I learnt about my suspicious self, the fact that I did not think favourably about outsiders, expecting them to cause us great harm and dismay at every given opportunity. And instead of being grateful to people for their help and assistance, I have the habit of criticising them no ends. I also realised that these may be the reasons why people are equally suspicious and critical of me. A case of ‘what goes around, comes around’, I guess.

To be continued …

No comments:

Post a Comment